Monday, April 20, 2009
The quickest way to curse loudly....Or what not to save money on at the grocery store.
So my fabulous Sunday dinner? Made not so fabulous by the fact I used bone-in chicken breasts. I normally buy boneless, skinless chicken breasts when they are on sale and freeze them until I need them. Well, a while ago I bought some bone-in because they were super on sale(like $2.50 for 4 lbs.) and they have been in the tundra that is my freezer for about a month, so I decided to go ahead and use them. Normally, I would have just boiled them, but was running a little short on time so decided to use the good old George Foreman. Now the one I have is really little, so I could only cook one at a time. And even then it didn't work out so well because they were so big. I cleaned up my kitchen a bit before I started cooking and started a load of dishes. Then I went to use the George and realized my little grease catcher thingy was in the wash...did you know that you absolutely cannot open your dishwasher once it has started? Not mine anyway. So...what can I use to catch the grease? Hmm, I know, a little tupperware thingy! WRONG! Did you also know that screaming hot chicken grease will melt tupperware? Now you do. So in the middle of my melty, greasy mess I have to find something else. I then settled on the little tray thingy from my toaster oven. This reminded me of the time I was in starbucks buying a bag of coffee(with a giftcard as I normally can't afford the goodness that is their coffee) and all of the bags were whole beans. So I dawdled around a bit thinking in my head what I could use at home to grind the coffee beans with, and I eventually decided that my quik-chop could probably handle the job but it would just be kind of gritty, and bought the coffee, not realizing they could grind it for you at the store...I'm pretty positive that was a huge catastrophe averted. So back to the chicken, It took forever! So then I went ahead and put some in a pan on the stove and started cooking it, again forever! Then there's the whole process of getting the meat off the bone after it's cooked. And burning your fingers too. And do you also know why it was so cheap for 4 lbs? BECAUSE HALF OF IT IS THE STINKING BONES! Lesson learned. Who's not ever going to buy bone-in chicken again? Me. But dinner turned out great anyway, and chicken is now on my grocery list of things not to save money on; along with toilet paper, laundry detergent, and ranch dressing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment